Sunday, November 7, 2010

Jan 22 through Jan 29

Jan 22 (Sat) 8:30 PM
I am in bed early and am going to read and then sleep. Thankfully they aren’t feeding me again tonight because I am still full from the picnic. While there, I went on a walk with a new friend through the botanical garden. I really liked it even though he said that it was much better during rainy season. I believed him because all the ponds were dried up and many of the trees didn’t have leaves. It was still nice. They did a traditional song and dance that is unique to the Sermathang area (where everyone at the picnic is from). I was told the song changed even though it always sounded the same to me (they switched between boys and girls) and they did it for one hour. Then they sang it back and forth for the hour bus ride back. I wish I knew what they were saying because I must have been missing something.

Jan 24 (Monday) 9:30 PM
Today I went with Uttam to Baktapur (sp) to another Samata school. I thought it was for me to visit more classrooms but when we got there about 10 other visitors were there waiting. A guy named Jeffry had some of his students and volunteers from Australia there with him to give ~6 girls scholarships to stay in school. They also brought many school supplies and toys for the students. It was a big show and then they left. Like yesterday we had rice pudding to celebrate Uttams birthday. At least he was there today. Yesterday people filed in, ate, and then left but he never came. A different sort of celebration, but the rice pudding is good. I got rice, milk and coconut out of people as ingredients, but no measurements or methods. Good stuff, though. I felt terrible this morning and got better as the day progressed. I feel like I have been sick forever and I sure hope it stops by trekking time!

Jan 27? (Wednesday) 9:45 PM
Yesterday I really was sick and was unable to keep any food or water down until the late afternoon. I had some water and tea for the afternoon and a small bowl of soup for dinner. That was about all I could manage. I think it was something I ate on Monday. Anyway, I got to sleep all day which was very nice and I took advantage of it! I felt great today until about an hour ago so am in bed now. Pemba said a lot of people are getting sick now because of the change of weather and Nima said the garbage strike has had an effect as well. The garbage has not been collected for a week now so the streets are very dirty and messy. I went to my first “life coaching” with Bipin's wife Gill. It was nice to talk about the fun and the struggles of being in Nepal. She moved here from the UK so she knew a lot about what I was saying. School went well. The students are doing well with the craft and seem to enjoy the change of page in the day.

Jan 29 (Friday) 8:30 PM
Today the girls and I went to Boudha again. We went yesterday to look and went again today to buy. It was fun to shop for everyone. We also walked around the top of Bouddha 3 times (apparently you have to walk around either 1, 3, 5, 7..... times) Then they got hungry so we went to get Buff Momo. They really like the Buff Momo. They weren't too interested in finding the place I really like with cheese momo. They also got this snack that I have seen around a lot. It is a little puff pastry that the vendor puts a hole in with his finger and then puts lemon juice in it like a tiny cup. Then they pop the whole thing in their mouth. I got an orange for a snack. The students finished their craft today. I could tell they were dissapointed that it didn't look like mine but I think they were just excited to be doing something different. The teachers also were interested to learn the craft so I showed them quickly at lunch. I like them a lot. I just learned today I am leaving on Monday. I can't believe it is going by so fast. I am glad that I am going forward to a new adventure, though. Bouddha has been fantastic and the Samata school even better. It is a great group of people and students.

No comments:

Post a Comment